Public Radio in Mid America
Board of Directors Meeting Minutes
September 16, 2015
Called to Order: 2:30 PM
Board Members Present: Dan Skinner, Tim Eby, Karen Olstad, Mike Savage, Regina Dean, Christina Kuzmych
Guest: Greg Petrowich
- NPR Board Composition and Nomination Process: Proposed Changes—Tim
- Should PRIMA take a position?
- Board unanimously supports both changes
- Will issue statement stating so
- Dan will draft language, run by board for approval before distributing via AReps
- RTDNA Elections—Mike
- News Director at WBAA is running for Board, Mike encourages PRIMA members who are also members of RTDNA to support him in the election.
- Feedback on AREPs Meeting—Board
- Question: Was it worth making the trip to be there in person for this particular meeting? Dan & Christina said they didn’t think so. Most in attendance were already in DC for other business or live within driving distance.
- Dan reported that he was heartened by the attitude and approach that Michael Oreskes is taking toward working with stations more collaboratively
- Idea is that NPR will have a one-day annual meeting in DC, but late notice and short agenda impacted participation, need to get agendas out earlier. To attract more attendees the AREPS meeting needs to have more substance.
- NPR has one day at Super Regional this year, agenda for that session not published
- Consensus of PRIMA board is that it is not critical for NPR to hold a meeting at the Super Regional
- PRIMA Scholarship for Super Regional in San Antonio
- Last year we awarded two $1,000 scholarships, and two $500 scholarships
- Consensus of Board to do again this year
- Mike and Karen volunteered to serve on scholarship committee with Dan
- Dan will post information on the PRIMA website and AReps.
- Dan is working with Gemma to get a PRIMA Member conference call scheduled with Jarl. No dates yet.
- Dan reported that he is working with NPR Legal regarding language in the PPF Agreement; many state university licensees have issues. Was able to resolve the issues, gave kudos. Issues remain regarding the Digital Services agreement.
- Mike will follow up will NPR Legal in his role on NPR Board
- Mike reported that he is following up with Mike Riksen at NPR Representation regarding FCC’s proposal to treat University Boards of Trustees as “owners” for FCC reporting which would require disclosures of home addresses, listing of social security numbers and other personal information that causes issues for university licensees.
Adjourned at 3:40 PM.
Next meeting October 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM EST.